Certainly, any of us does not like this difficult feeling, which is anxiety and tension, but no matter how much we try to stay away from these two feelings, it is possible that we will suffer them, especially when anxiety and tension becomes a chronic matter, as its effect moves from simple anxiety to a real serious matter that attacks our health.
Your reaction to an anxiety or stress attack has a very large impact and risks reflecting on your daily routine life in addition to its reflection on your health, so come with us and learn the truth about the damages of anxiety and tension, what are these dangers and damages that anxiety and tension cause to our bodies and what parts of our body are severely affected by anxiety and tension :
table of contents
Damages of anxiety and stress
Anxiety and tension disorders affect nearly a large number of people in the world. Anxiety and stress disorders are also one of the most common psychological problems in children. Another misconception about anxiety and stress is that it is caused by problems deep rooted in the past.
For people with anxiety and stress disorders, daily life may be more difficult than you can imagine because they face fear of very specific events, thoughts of a panic attack and constant physical symptoms, all of which can be more difficult to cope with when he has the feeling that no one understands it. .
Stress at work, anxiety, or difficult-to-manage events can cause stress and may have beneficial effects for some, but its consequences and harms can also be tragic, including disruption of the metabolism process, physical effects and risks of certain diseases in addition to disrupting daily life.
What are the parts of our body that are affected by anxiety and stress?
In this paragraph, we will explain the most important organs that can be affected by severe stress and anxiety:
In the event of tension and anxiety, the muscles of the body are affected, and as a result of the persistence of anxiety and tension in the long term, these muscles contract, causing pain in the neck, shoulders and other muscles.
When you are overwhelmed by anxiety, your body tensions in a natural way, which may exhaust the most important muscle group. Chronic tension or anxiety can exacerbate this tension and in turn lead to headaches, stiff shoulders, neck pain, and sometimes migraines.
Tension and anxiety affect the muscles, as we said earlier, and this, in turn, affects the back because it contains the muscles around the spine, and as a result of anxiety and tension, muscle pain surrounding the spine increases and spasms increase, causing the person to have difficulty moving and doing daily routine activities.
And people who experience constant stress are also more likely to have chronic musculoskeletal disorders.
One of the most common reactions to anxiety and stress and their damages is the emergence of throat problems and this coarse voice that seems to have dominated your vocal cords is an immediate reaction to a stressful situation or tension as a result of a feeling because when feelings of anxiety and tension begin, the body redistributes fluids to places more important than It causes the muscles in the throat to cramp due to the lack of saliva in it, which causes tightness that makes swallowing difficult.
When the body experiences a stress and anxiety attack, the adrenal system produces a large amount of the stress hormone (cortisol). The presence of too much of this hormone increases the production of glucose in the liver in order to provide energy, as in most people the body can re-absorb this excess glucose without much anxiety, but for people Those at risk of developing diabetes this excess glucose can have harmful effects on their health.
Damage to the spleen:
Anxiety and stress does not only affect the most obvious organs such as our brain or our heart because it also affects the organs that have an internal function such as the spleen because in order to provide more oxygen to the body the spleen produces more red and white blood cells, and in this reaction process the blood flow increases by 300 to 400% response to feedback.
Damage to the lungs:
Studies have shown that there is a link between anxiety disorders and asthma because people with asthma are more likely to have panic attacks, anxiety, and stress from the situation.
Damages to the immune system:
Exposure to stress, stress and anxiety can have a harmful effect on the immune system, which weakens or even suppresses the body’s reaction to this feeling, and studies have shown that when you are stressed you are more likely to have a cold in addition to being more susceptible to infection and infections.
Damages of anxiety and stress on our brain:
Stress and nervous anxiety have a great impact on the work of our brain because through anxiety and tension, the body works simultaneously with an anxiety attack and tension that affects thinking and memory, which weakens it and causes some cells to atrophy over time.
- Also, one of the damages of anxiety and stress on the brain is that it affects a person’s evaluation of the situations he is going through, which makes him weak in the logical evaluation of some situations that require more attention.
- Based on this defect in the brain, a person has negative feelings in his inability to overcome situations, thinking and remembering, which ends up in depression as a result of this vicious circle.
- One of the most dangerous damages of anxiety and stress is their effect on the part related to storing information in the brain, which affects memory and difficulty in focusing and remembering, which causes problems for the person in terms of social, practical and health.
Damages of anxiety and stress on the digestive system:
- As a result of chronic stress and anxiety, a person suffers from stress, which causes stomach cramping, and the continuing tension and anxiety leads to severe, painful and chronic infections in the stomach that affect the entire course of life.
- In cases of acute stress, a person also suffers from stomach cramps, and if the pressure continues for a long time, the intestinal mucosa becomes weak, which leads to exposure to pathogens and the result is infections.
- Among the most harmful effects of anxiety and extreme tension is the state of constipation that affects a person as a result of disturbances in the digestive system and indigestion that accompanies anxiety and tension.
- In addition, feeling anxious and nervous can lead to irritable bowel syndrome or diarrhea, and this all varies from person to person according to the state of the digestive system readiness and the damage caused by anxiety and tension.
Damages of anxiety and stress raise blood sugar:
Stress and anxiety reduce the effect of insulin, whose most important function is to regulate blood sugar, and this is very dangerous for diabetics and the average patient as well.
- When a patient with diabetes, an increase in blood sugar level poses a threat to his health.
- As for the person who is not diabetic, the increase in blood sugar causes the pancreas to increase the secretion of insulin to compensate for this effect, which increases the risk of this person developing diabetes.
Damages of anxiety and stress to the eyes:
As a result of constant anxiety and tension, the eye pressure increases, which causes damage to the optic nerve as a result of not getting enough blood, which causes the eye to develop (glaucoma) disease, the main causes of which are tension and high intraocular pressure, and this in turn weakens vision gradually until it eventually reaches blindness.
Damages of anxiety and stress on the heart:
The heart is the most important organ in your body because it is a pump that distributes blood throughout the entire body, and one of the harms of anxiety and tension inherent in a person is their effect on the heart muscles, which increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes, and this is reflected negatively on the rest of the body as long as stress and anxiety are inherent to the person.
- In addition, the adrenal gland produces more noradrenaline , which in turn causes an increase in the number of white blood cells in the bone marrow, which severely affects the entire organs and makes them weak.
- Most importantly, stress and anxiety cause fat to deposit on the walls of blood vessels, which causes the accumulation of immune cells that in turn cause atherosclerosis, which can be fatal if these fatty deposits reach the bloodstream and completely block the arteries.
Change in sperm percentage:
There are studies conducted in America that confirmed that a man is in a state of chronic stress and anxiety, this affects the percentage and number of sperms, which affects the issue of infertility, in addition to that this study concluded that a man who suffers from severe stress and constant anxiety gives birth to children with neurological changes related to the father’s disorders As a result of his stress and anxiety.
In addition to that, among the harms of anxiety and stress is the feeling of lack of sexual desire, which in turn leads to a deterioration of the relationship between spouses.
Damages of anxiety and stress on the ears:
One of the harms of anxiety and stress is that these risks reach the middle ear, which weakens the immune system, leading to the emergence of problems in the ear such as permanent and annoying tinnitus, in addition to that, in some cases, it may cause temporary deafness, and if treatment is delayed, it becomes permanent.
Feeling of constant fatigue:
Feeling of constant fatigue and discomfort is related to anxiety and tension, as the most harmful of them are the effect on a person’s activity and his ability to carry out routine daily activities, and the feeling of fatigue and exhaustion at the slightest effort, with a weak motivation to do any work.
This, in turn, increases cholesterol, raises blood pressure, and increases heart rate, which increases fatigue and fatigue.
Damages of anxiety and stress on the skin and skin:
Stress and anxiety cause acne because this feeling causes disturbances in many hormones in our body and weakens the immune system that defends the body, causing it to imbalance, leading to many infections and infections that affect the skin. A person may develop chronic eczema, itching, or the appearance of pimples and acne.
Even our grandparents believed that the main cause of dandruff, and as anxiety and stress affect our skin, affect our hair, so one of the most harmful effects of anxiety and stress is the problem of hair loss.
Also, one of the damages of the constant feeling of anxiety and tension is that it controls the mind, causing our neglect of our health, especially when eating, which prevents it in some cases from eating and thus lacks the nutrients of minerals and vitamins necessary for the body in general and the skin in particular, which leads to acceleration of the aging process of the skin and skin .
This cold sweat or redness of the cheeks is an immediate sign that your skin is reacting to stress caused by anxiety and tension and it is caused by changes in blood flow because when you feel anxious and your body switches to a position (fight or reaction) it redirects more blood to the muscles, It is a very beneficial reaction when it is needed. However, if this reaction persists for a long time or occurs frequently, it can lead to a variety of skin reactions including:
- Aging and early appearance of wrinkles.
- Unusual sweating.
- Increased histamine (sensitivity), which can cause swelling of the skin.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, severe episodes of stress or anxiety can cause episodes of eczema that are accompanied by excessive itching.
Damages of anxiety and stress in gaining weight:
This paragraph can be considered one of the bad habits that people who feel anxious and stressed, and it is the habit of overeating and voraciously, which causes an increase in weight, and this is what scholars call (emotional hunger), which the patient fills with the habit of eating a lot, whether he needs food or not. In addition, stress and anxiety slow down the burning of fats in the body due to their effect on slowing down the fat burning process.
Long-term stress or anxiety can also affect your metabolism, which can lead to weight gain or even obesity.
Emergence of bad habits:
Some people with anxiety and extreme tension may resort to practicing some bad habits that reflect the deteriorating psychological state of the person, such as:
- Nails biting, which has negative effects as it transmits bacterial infection from contaminated nails to the rest of the body as a result of being bitten by the teeth in addition to the distorted appearance of nails as a result of biting the bulk of them, which causes the person to have a psychological condition that keeps him away from people and affects his psychological life a lot.
- There are people with anxiety and tension who pull specific locks of his hair, whether on the front of the head or the back, which harms the hair and may cause cutting of the tufts and injury to the area with hair loss from it and bad appearance in front of people.
- A person with anxiety and tension may make some movements in his eyes, feet, or hands that make him feel in front of him in his bad psychological state, such as moving the feet in a rapid vibrating movement, interlacing the fingers of the hands with each other, or winking in an unconscious movement.
Tips to avoid the damages of anxiety and stress
It is difficult to determine the situations that cause anxiety and stress for people, which negatively affect their social, psychological and family life, but through some easy and simple steps we can distance ourselves from these two feelings and eliminate all the negative effects that are associated with them:
- When you feel anxious and nervous about a certain situation, relax and sit or stretch in a way that you are comfortable and look at the ceiling or the sky and try to count from number 1 to whatever number you may reach and then make you feel that you are in a better condition, this step helps to reduce blood pressure and regulate your heartbeat And blood also organizes your breathing for you, making you comfortable, and you can organize your thoughts and get rid of the confusion that afflicted your brain as a result of anxiety and tension.
- Or you can hold a notebook and a pen and write down the problem that you feel and your anxiety, which causes you to relax, as if you transferred the problem from your brain to the notebook, and here your mind begins to think correctly to solve the problem that caused you anxiety and tension.
- Every time you feel stressed and anxious, take a deep breath through your nose and take it out of your mouth, repeating this step several times until you feel comfortable. This step adjusts the heartbeat and reduces the high pressure. The process of breathing in this way helps you focus and calm your body.
- Close your eyes and go with your imagination to the distant as if you are in a beautiful place you love or on the plane and try to gather all your senses to live in this feeling to get out within minutes from your bad state to positivity, activity and vitality.
- Every time you feel anxious and nervous, go out into the fresh air, whatever the weather is outside, go for a walk, and let your feet walk you anywhere, even if you are in the rain, as this step relieves you of the feeling of anxiety and tension and enjoys peace and comfort.
Other methods that help manage anxiety attacks include:
- You can make your bedroom a place to relax by placing candles in the corners and lighting them and putting lavender flowers to spread the fragrant scent on the place, which relieves anxiety and tension.
- Stay away from your cell phone and computer hours before bed so as not to make your sleep disturbed.
- You can visit charitable societies and give charity to people in need, which improves your psychological state in addition to Allah’s satisfaction with you.
- Listen to your favorite music as it helps you relax.
- When you feel nervous or anxious, prepare your favorite meal because during preparation, your attention is focused on the ingredients and the way in preparing the meal, which will make you forget the anxiety and tension you feel.
- Some women find crying a release of some tension and anxiety, so do not be shy about doing this because it helps you get out of your bad psychological state and feel comfortable.
- Do your favorite sport, let alone long walks, because sports help get rid of the bad psychological state and get rid of the anxiety and tension attack.
- Enter your garden, take care of it, and practice farming that by touching soil and plants, your condition improves, you forget your stress and anxiety, and at the same time enjoy what you accomplish in your garden.
You should know that the increase in stress on your body as a result of the damages of anxiety and stress increases the damage to your body and turns into chronic and incurable diseases that have no treatment.