In the event that you are on the ketogenic diet, you must have many inquiries about the permitted foods and drinks that do not put you out of ketosis! Perhaps the most important of these questions revolve around dates and keto. Are dates allowed on the keto diet, and can you eat them? Or is it a ban that must be curbed?
Dates offer a tremendous amount of benefits to the body, but what about dates and keto… The relationship between dates and keto is not a relationship, yes or no is forbidden, there are a set of factors that draw the boundaries between them and some rules that may make dates a friend to keto!
Table of contents
The keto diet or keto diet
Don’t worry, I won’t talk about the details of the ketogenic diet away from dates, but it is important to understand the depth of keto so that you can answer everything that concerns him, specifically his relationship with dates!
The keto diet is a diet that relies on eating fats and proteins and reducing carbohydrates. The maximum permissible amount of carbohydrates is usually 50 grams, and the minimum is 20 grams.
Naturally the body gets energy from sugars and fats, but it tends to store fats and obtain energy from sugars because it is the easiest way for it, and this is the basic idea behind the ketogenic diet.
By reducing carbohydrates (the source of sugars in the body) to a minimum, your body will not find enough sugar to obtain energy and will be forced to burn the fats stored in it and those that you eat in order to obtain the energy it needs, thus entering the ketogenic state (i.e. getting Contains energy from fats), meaning healthy and fast fat loss and weight loss.
From there you will find that you have a long list of items that are all foods rich in carbohydrates and sugars … but what about dates!
You may be interested: What are carbohydrates and why all the controversy? Is it good or bad?
The nutritional content of dates
Dates are one of the richest sources of various nutrients, including vitamins and minerals, but when it comes to carbohydrates and fats, dates contain more than 70% carbohydrates, while their fat and protein content is low, so every 100 grams of dates contain:
|The food component||the value||One measurement||The proportion of the daily requirement|
|Fats||0.15||love||Less than 1%|
Note: The daily percentage of the body’s need of the nutrients shown in the table is based on a diet based on 2000 calories per day.
Dates and keto
The carbohydrate content of dates varies according to its type, some types contain 16 grams of carbohydrates, while other types contain only 7 grams. This amount is generally low if dates are eaten in moderation, but the matter with the keto diet is completely different!
Comparing the carbohydrate content of one date with the permissible amount of carbs on keto can change our perception of it, as it is big! If the maximum permissible amount of carp is 50 grams per day and you ate a date containing 16 grams of carbohydrates, what does that mean?
This means that one grain gave you nearly half the permissible amount of carp, and you only had 34 grams left, and of course the matter is different with reliance on the less carbohydrate types.
The benefits and harms of dates on keto
Here’s the good news! Dates are not completely prohibited on keto and there are many benefits that it guarantees, but also it is not allowed at all, and there are points that you should be wary of.
1 – Dates with a low glycemic index
Dates are considered to be foods with a low glycemic index or a low glycemic index, this means that eating dates will not cause a rapid or significant rise in blood sugar level and thus will not generate a rapid response by releasing insulin and storing sugar in the blood, as foods with a high glycemic index do.
Where is this point particularly important? Simply put, there are 3 main benefits of eating low-glycemic foods:
Not storing sugar in fat cells and thus not gaining weight – maintaining the balance of blood sugar and not going through a rapid high and low state that leads to a rapid feeling of hunger and the desire to eat more carp – not affecting the insulin inducement and thus preventing type 2 diabetes.
As for dates and keto … the main problem with keto lies in the sugars, and considering that dates will not violently affect blood sugar, this makes it a completely non-prohibited food, i.e. permissible, but within certain limits.
2 – High in calories and carbs
Each 100 grams, or about 12-14 dates, contains 277 calories in addition to about 75 grams of carbohydrates with very little fat content, not exceeding 0.5 grams.
Thus dates are a very high energy source, as they are close to the content of dried fruits in addition to making it easy to get out of ketosis by eating only a few dates, and here is the problem!
That is, eating a few grains of dates can provide you with more than the amount of carp allowed throughout the day, the problem is not only to skip the amount, but with eating a little more after, your body will return to obtain energy from sugars, meaning it will cancel the ketogenic phase.
Additionally, you skipped the allowance for dates only carp, but what about other foods? There is no food with 0 carbohydrates, while it is true that it contains a small amount, but you went out of the amount originally.
3 – Dates and many benefits it provides to the body
Dates can simply be considered a mine of benefits, as it provides a lot to the body, and perhaps this is what makes it a food worth considering to be included in the keto diet, even if that is within restrictions and limits!
Dates are rich in antioxidants that protect cells and tissues from damage by free radicals (free radicals are oxygen-appetizing molecules that interact with living cells> take oxygen from them> leave them damaged).
Dates are rich in dietary fiber (each 100 grams of dates contains 7 grams of soluble and insoluble dietary fiber), and they support the digestive system and stimulate the digestive process in addition to they support the beneficial bacteria in the intestine, which is positively reflected on the body’s immunity as well.
Besides it contains a large variety of vitamins and minerals that guarantee a lot such as: healthy skin free of defects – preserving collagen to prevent wrinkles – boost immunity – support both the digestive and nervous system and strengthen bones – protect the brain, heart and blood vessels …
Dates enhance your immunity and protect your body from various diseases and infections thanks to the healing and anti-inflammatory properties that it has, as well as the protection against various types of cancer.
How can you eat dates on keto?
So far you know that dates are not completely forbidden, but they are also not permissible foods at all, there are limits that dates can be eaten without getting out of ketosis by restricting them, namely:
- The matter with dates and keto is not about the number of dates that should be eaten or the number of grains that the body needs, it depends on the amount of carp that you provide your body with.
- The permissible amount of carbohydrates should be restricted and not exceeded, whether it is eating dates or even eating foods that are based on the keto diet.
- Avoid eating foods that contain carbohydrates in conjunction with eating dates to keep them within the tolerable range.
Eat dates on keto
Through the previous points, I began to know what you should do to eat dates with keto, it simply depends on the balance and you can eat it by making sure of the following things:
- Choose the types of dates that contain the least amount of carp, i.e. stay away from the ones with the highest sugar content.
- Eat a maximum of 1 to 3 pills during the day, so you can be sure to get the benefits that dates provide without leaving the ketogenic state.
- In addition to dates, your diet should be a low-carb diet, meaning that you should balance the amount of carbohydrates you get from dates with the carbohydrates you will get from other foods.
- You can eat dates with milk, but not any type of milk! Cow and goat milk is strictly prohibited on the keto diet, but you can rely on plant-based milk, such as soy milk, almond milk, or coconut milk.
- Cream is also one of the foods that you can freely eat on the keto diet.
- Remember that dates are not a complete food even if they are eaten with milk, especially if you are on the keto diet, due to their low protein and fat content.
- Avoid eating dates in a way that makes them more sugars and carbohydrates, that is, you should avoid eating recipes of fried dates or stuffed with chocolate or sugars, etc.
So the matter between dates and keto is not related to whether it is forbidden or permitted, but rather depends entirely on the quality and quantity of dates that you eat, the way you eat it, and the foods you eat besides dates … that is, you alone can make dates allowed on keto or forbidden completely.
Note: The mentioned information cannot be considered a substitute for consulting a doctor or a nutritionist in adopting a specific diet or a change in the diet recommended by the doctor for you.
More about dates:
- Benefits of dates for diet … Are dates fattening or are they effective in losing weight?
- Dieting dates, water and milk … is a fast diet, but you will not starve or get tired during it
- What are the benefits of dates? Here are 25 amazing benefits the body can’t do without
- These Are the Foods You Absolutely Must Cut Out While on the Keto Diet – popsugar
- Eating Dates on Ramadan: A Keto Perspective – pinayketo
- Fruits and berries: A keto guide – dietdoctor