Iron is one of the most important elements that the body needs, as its importance lies in transporting oxygen to most parts of the body down to the roots of the hair of the head, so the deficiency of this element can impede the length of hair and its growth.
Iron can be obtained from natural sources, but some people are vegetarians or have a specific diet, and they cannot obtain iron well, so the necessity of eating some iron pills is likely in such cases.
But does taking iron pills really offer many benefits for hair? Does this have any side effects or cause harm?
Read on to find out together.
table of contents
What are the most important factors that lead to iron deficiency?
When we want to solve a problem, we must know the reasons that led us to this problem. Here are the factors that may cause iron deficiency in the body:
- Childbirth, when childbirth occurs, the woman loses a lot of iron.
- Heavy menstruation, especially for women who follow a vegetarian diet.
- Continuous blood donors.
- Individuals who have difficulty absorbing iron.
There are studies conducted in September 2017 of the Egyptian Journal of Research in Dermatology and Venereology, according to which women before menopause have low levels of iron, meaning they have greater chances of hair loss.
Some necessary tests must be done in order to see the level of iron in the body and the extent of its effect on hair loss, and if there is any deficiency, the doctor may recommend taking iron pills.
What are the most important benefits of iron pills for hair?
Multiple studies and personal experiences of a number of people who suffer from hair loss have proven that taking iron pills greatly reduced hair problems. At first, they resorted to using creams and cosmetic products, but it turned out that the problem was internal, which is a deficiency of the mineral iron.
In such cases, it is necessary to address the underlying problem inside the body, which may be closely related to iron deficiency.
Iron pills solve many problems, most notably:
- It gives hair vitality and shine, especially if taken with vitamin C.
- Increase hair density, especially the hair at the front of the head.
- Protects hair from baldness, there are studies that show that severe iron deficiency leads to baldness.
- It greatly contributes to increasing the length of hair in a short period of time.
- Eliminates dry hair, dullness, and moisture.
What are the damages of iron pills for hair?
When starting to use any food supplement, it must be under the supervision of a doctor, since despite all the benefits that these pills contain, it is not without the presence of harms that may occur to a specific group of people, including:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women: where a certain amount must be taken that is prescribed by the specialist doctor, as iron pills may cause some side effects, and they may lead to high hemoglobin levels that affect the birth or the infant.
- Children: As we know, children’s bodies are more sensitive than others, as an amount of about 60 mg is likely to cause death in children.
- Diabetics: Increasing these pills in diabetic patients may increase the risk of heart disease, so it is necessary to consult your doctor.
- Patients with infectious ulcer disease, intestinal inflammation and other diseases.
Is there a specific dose of iron pills to be taken?
It is not possible to increase the recommended dose, as this may cause some health problems that may be dangerous, but on the other hand some people think that increasing the dose in small quantities may provide many benefits for hair and health benefits for the body as well.
There are no studies that confirm this definitively, so it is best to take the recommended dose, after consulting a specialist.
Are there side effects from taking iron hair pills?
Any medication or dietary supplement is bound to have side effects, but they may be temporary.
The most prominent side effects of taking iron pills for hair:
- Constipation or diarrhea.
- Nausea and vomiting
- The color of the stool may change color and tend to darken.
- Shortness of breath.
- Stomach and abdominal pain.
All people want to have thick healthy hair, as thick hair gives the personality beauty and prestige.
Healthy food has a great role in hair care, and we do not ignore the importance of minerals, and the most important component that effectively contributes to the health of hair is iron.
If you cannot obtain it from food, and you have a deficiency in the level of iron, the best way is to obtain it by taking pills, after consulting a specialist doctor.
Some people may suffer from hair problems in terms of hair loss and other problems, and if you took iron pills and did not feel any good result, it is best to do tests and consult specialist doctors, to provide the best solution.