In the last few years, Canada has become at the top of the lists of the best countries to live and live, and this not only made Canada the preferred country for those looking for destinations for immigration or travel in order to work and settle there, but also became one of the preferred destinations for those looking for suitable destinations to study abroad. Therefore, everyone is seeking to study in Canada.
The political and economic stability there, the diverse and favorable climate throughout the year, the standard of living and the quiet life that prevailed in the country made Canada the best option for many, surpassing many countries that were previously a first destination for study abroad.
Why study in Canada?
- Canada has one of the distinctive higher education systems in the world, in addition to the high academic reputation that universities have there, as it has many highly ranked universities in the world, such as the University of British Columbia, which is ranked 47th in the world in 2018, and the University of Toronto Ranked 18.
- International students in Canada can work in a part-time job throughout their studies, even without a work permit, either on or off campus.
- Give Canadian universities high importance to scientific research, as well as the designated high budgets, and of the support Students with scientific studies and research characteristics.
- Studying in Canada gives the student a distinct experience not only on the academic level, but also enriches the experience in terms of the living, social and cultural aspect that the student will experience there thanks to the multiculturalism and languages used, which would enrich the student’s experience.
- The varied climate throughout the year is one of the advantages of life in Canada, between the temperate and polar climates cold and hot, as well as it borders three different oceans.
- The distinctive social and living life that the student experiences, including health insurance, social welfare systems, distinct government services, and a quiet and stable life as well.
These are some of the advantages that Canada enjoys for foreign students, in terms of studying in Canada and living there, which encourage many to complete their studies there.
The educational system in Canada
The university educational system in Canada differs somewhat from what is known in the education systems in our Arab countries, there in Canada a student can choose the subjects he intends to study during each semester, and students are not subject to a specific number of subjects per semester by the university.
The student knows in advance the number of college subjects for all the academic years of his specialization, and then he can study what he wants from the subjects in each semester, and the more he studies and progresses to more study materials, the faster he graduates, this means that the student can graduate within three years, for example for a major that needs four years of study According to the student’s effort.
The languages used in Canadian universities are either English or French due to the use of the two languages together in the country, often this depends on the province in which the university is located, some of them use French and some of them are English, and in all cases the foreign student must provide proof of his competence in the language used by the university, accept Canadian universities, TOEFL and IELTS certificate for the English language, and the DELF exam certificate for French.
Universities and majors
Canada has a group of distinguished universities in the world that excel in many scientific, theoretical and applied disciplines, perhaps the most prominent Canadian universities
- The University of Toronto is at the top of the list of the best Canadian universities and is ranked 18 among the best universities in the world and among the best educational institutions in terms of graduates as well, and is remarkably distinguished in medical specializations, humanities and social sciences.
- McGill University is the second best Canadian university and is ranked 33rd in the world. He excelled in engineering, anatomy, and information management majors.
- The University of British Columbia is the third best university in Canada and is ranked 47th in the world, and has a number of branches around the world, distinguished by geographic majors, engineering and mathematical majors.
- Alberta University is the fourth best Canadian university and ranked 109 in the world, and has a good academic and scientific reputation as other Canadian universities, excels in mathematical disciplines and engineering, especially mining and minerals.
- McMaster University is the fifth Canadian university and is ranked 146 in the world. Medical specialties are at the top of the fields in which the university excels.
These were the five best universities in Canada and the ranking of each of them in the world, in addition to the majors that each university is distinguished in, of course in case you intend to study in Canada to complete your studies in one of its universities, you will definitely need more information about the university you intend to study in and you can refer Go to the website of the university where you intend to complete your studies to learn more, as Canada has nearly 100 universities.
Also Read: The Complete Guide About Studying In Australia
Tuition and life costs
Tuition costs in Canada
Tuition fees in Canadian universities vary depending on many factors, such as the study program, the university, whether it is government or private, and other factors.
For foreign students, the tuition fees that are expected to be requested from them, according to the reports of the Canadian Statistics Authority , the fees are approximately 20,000 US dollars per academic year for study programs during the undergraduate level.
As for the postgraduate studies, the fees are usually lower than the undergraduate fees for some majors, and some are higher than the first stage fees.
The Cost of Living in Canada
With regard to living life and its costs in Canada, it also differs from one person to another, depending on many factors, including the place of residence and whether he resides in the student housing or in a private apartment, as well as the general prices in the city in which the student studies and the consumption and purchasing habits
The University of Montreal estimates a student’s need annually as living costs by only about $ 11,000, and this includes costs for housing, food, water, textbooks, transportation and other expenses.
Of course, student housing is available at the university, shared housing and private housing in various Canadian provinces, and certainly student housing is the cheapest among the options available, and private housing is the most expensive, which may cost about $ 8,000 annually.
Applying to Canadian universities
When you intend to complete your studies in Canada, the first step is to search for the appropriate university to complete your studies in it, and then communicate with that university or see its instructions regarding international students, to know what are the requirements of this university and what papers, certifications and certificates you must provide .
There are general and common requirements between the various universities and there may be special requirements for one university rather than another, so it is necessary to know the requirements of the universities to work on securing them early and before the deadlines for applying, and you must also know the application dates and deadlines in advance and from the beginning.
Most universities will ask for personal identification, a motivation letter and a letter of recommendation from the student, as well as evidence regarding financial matters, previous certificates and certificate equivalency for Canadian education, given that you have obtained your previous degree from outside Canada.
Regarding the study visa, you can apply for it online or personally through the Canadian embassy or consulate near you, if the study program you intend to apply for is less than six months old, you will not need a study permit and the visa is sufficient, but in other cases you will need a study permit attached with Visa. Of course, applying for a study visa in Canada is done after obtaining acceptance from the university in which you intend to study.
The visa requirements you will get to know through the embassy to which you will apply, which include a valid passport, sometimes general medical examinations and financial proof to secure your studies there.
Work in Canada
Regarding work during the study, Canada is one of the countries that allows students to work alongside their studies, whether on or off campus and even without the need for a work permit, as the student can work part-time up to twenty hours a week, and full-time during public holidays.
As for after the student finishes his studies, that is, after graduation, the visa will expire within 90 days from the date of graduation, unless the student gets a job there, then he can extend his stay there as a visa and a work residency for a period of three years, renewable.
This means that the student who studies in Canada and after his graduation will have a time of three months before the end of his residency, and this period may be sufficient to search for work there for those who wish to complete his life there and do not intend to return to his country, but if the person does not succeed in obtaining a job opportunity, it will end Visa during the three months after graduation and the person will have to leave the country.
This was all about studying in Canada and living and university life there, in addition to everything related to the student who intends to complete his studies in Canada, the most prominent country for tourist and living destinations, for study purposes or even immigration.
If you have any other questions about this topic, tell us about it in the comments, so we can try to answer them according to the availability, and do not forget to share the article to spread the benefit.
You may also be interested:
- What are the most famous universities in Britain, and what about studying in them?
- Did you know that you can study abroad for free and in the most prestigious universities in the world?