The word carbohydrates is usually associated with weight gain and obesity, so many people resort to permanently abstaining from carbohydrates in order to lose weight.
In this way, they neglect to eat foods that contain carbohydrates necessary for the body to carry out its daily activities and activities, which we will talk about in this article, hoping for the benefit.
What are carbohydrates?
Carbohydrates or starches are present in foods to convert within the body to glucose, which provides cells, tissues and organs of the body with the energy it needs, and it is part of any healthy diet because refraining from eating carbohydrates has negative effects on the body.
What foods contain carbohydrates?
Foods that contain carbohydrates can be classified into three groups:
- Starches: such as legumes (lentils, beans, cowpeas, etc.), vegetables (peas, corn, and potatoes) and grains (whole wheat, barley, rice, and oats)
- Sugars: These include natural sugars in milk and fruits, and processed sugars in fruit jams and juices.
- Fiber: found in vegetables, fruits and legumes.
Among the best sources of carbohydrates we mention:
- Brown rice
- Wheat and barley
- Pasta and bread
- Legumes, such as lentils, beans, cowpeas, chickpeas, and others.
- All kinds of fruits, especially apples, bananas, mangoes, dates and berries.
- Processed sweets such as candies, pies and baked goods. This type of carbohydrate is recommended to reduce or refrain from eating.
- Dairy, milk and dairy products.
Benefits of carbohydrates
- Carbohydrates improve mood and ward off anxiety, depression and fear thanks to the serotonin that the body makes when eating foods that contain carbohydrates.
- Carbohydrates maintain the health of the heart and arteries, thanks to the fact that some contain soluble fibers that reduce harmful cholesterol in the blood.
- Some carbohydrate foods contain fiber that stimulates the digestive system and prevents constipation or indigestion.
- Eating carbohydrate foods may be a cause of weight loss, because these foods fill the stomach and give a feeling of satiety for a long time, which helps reduce the amount of food you eat. However, here, you should pay attention to the amount of calories in it so that it does not exceed the permissible limit, causing the opposite of weight gain.
Tips and advice on eating carbohydrates
- It is advised to eat fresh fruits rather than fruit juice.
- Diversify the vegetables and fruits you eat every day.
- Eat foods that contain whole grains, such as oats and whole-wheat bread.
- Limit your intake of sugar and refined carbohydrates, such as white rice, pasta, baked goods, and sweets.
In the end, it should be noted that moderation in eating various foods is required, especially foods that contain carbohydrates, as reducing them deprives the body of the energy required for it, and that too much of it causes obesity and weight gain.